Why not treat yourself to a banana mask and smoothie today? Bananas contain vitamins and minerals to boost physical health and skin health, research says.
Packed with vitamins B and C, potassium, and copper, bananas strengthen your skin and hair, fight acne and aging, and detoxify skin. Because bananas soothe skin, they can even be used to heal burns and skin injuries, says Healthline’s Cynthia Cobb, a Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
So, double up on those bananas to look and feel your best.
See below for one DIY banana mask you can make to get your skin ultra radiant. This mask puts a twist on the usual banana mask by adding yogurt to the mix.
Yogurt softens and nourishes skin to get you glowing fast. Also, feel free to adapt these ingredients any way you like. For instance, add in your favorite essential oils, such as rose, lavender, or lemon.
Ingredients and Materials
- 1 bowl
- measuring spoons
- 1 whole banana
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- (optional) 1 – 2 drops rose or lavender essential oil
To begin, break off bite-sized chunks of banana into a bowl and mash with a spoon. Then, add in the yogurt, honey, and lemon juice and mix all ingredients until smooth.
Apply the mixture to your face and wait 15 to 20 minutes.
Now, whip up your banana smoothie while you’re waiting for the mask to work its magic. To begin, gather the items below.
Banana Smoothie: Ingredients
- 1 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
- 1 banana
- 1 cup vanilla (or regular) almond milk
- 1 – 2 teaspoons honey or agave (optional)
Gather all ingredients, and feel free to adapt them to your liking. For instance, add a teaspoon of ground flax or 2 to 3 tablespoons of oats if you want to add some fiber. Or if you have a sweet tooth, add some vanilla almond milk and honey or agave.
Then, after 15 to 20 minutes, rinse off your mask with a warm washcloth and pat your skin dry. Finally, follow with a serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen of your choice.
And that’s it. Now, enjoy your smoothie—and your new skin!
- See here to learn about a daily five-step skincare routine you can try, with product recommendations by skin type.
- See here for video tutorials for DIY avocado skin and hair masks.
- Finally, see this printable tutorial of this DIY banana mask.