Roses represent mystery and magic. They conjure images of romantic vacations, candlelit dinners, and birthday celebrations. Still, these silky flowers promise more than beautiful bouquets. Roses and and rose oil also work magic on skin, smoothing texture, tightening pores, and erasing signs of age. This is why Cleopatra loved her DIY rose masks and baths.
And people worldwide have followed her lead for centuries.
Now your skin can look just as radiant. Read below to learn more about roses’ healing properties, or skip to the DIY rose petal bath and face mask recipes.
Roses and Rose Oil: Uses and Skin Benefits
Not only does rose oil nourish skin, but almost all parts of the rose plant contain skin-friendly nutrients. Even rose petals are packed with antioxidants that keep skin healthy and young.
Furthermore, Rosa damascena contains potent healing compounds that strengthen skin and improve heart health.
Rose Oil vs. Rosehip Oil
Both rose essential oil and rosehip oil come from roses, but these oils differ in important ways. Not only do these oils come from different types of roses, but they also come from separate parts of the plant.
These oils have different uses, too.
Rose essential oil comes from rose petals, but rosehip oil comes from the rose bulb, according to Herbal Dynamics.
So, with all these beauty benefits, why not treat yourself to a Cleopatra-style rose petal milk bath?
Milk’s lactic acid softens and exfoliates, and rose petals energize skin and rewind the clock. You’ll leave the tub feeling and looking brand new.
So, see below for two DIY rose bath and face mask recipes. If you’d like, make the mask first and then luxuriate in your rose petal bath while the mask is working its spell.
DIY Rose Bath
Note: You’ll need about 20 rose petals for these recipes. To begin, soak the rose petals for about 45 minutes to an hour, and then gather the items below.
- 1 medium bowl
- 1/2 cup crushed rose petals
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered milk
- 8-10 drops rose essential oil
- 2 drops of other favorite essential oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup Epsom salt
- bubble bath (optional)
- extra rose petals for decoration (optional)
In a bowl, mix the Epsom salt and powdered milk. Then, add the rose petals and essential oils. Next, add the contents to your bathwater, along with the bubble bath (optional). Finally, grab a spa soundtrack, light some rose candles, and then step into the tub. Also try these YouTube spa tunes for six hours of musical bliss.
You can even use the leftovers as a body exfoliator.
DIY Rose Face Mask
Now, gather the items below and whip up this decadent DIY rose mask.
Ingredients / Items
- 1 medium bowl
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup dried rose petals
- 1 teaspoon of argan or olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Manuka honey
- First, place the rose petals in a bowl.
- Then, add the honey, olive or argan oil, and yogurt and mix.
- Next, apply the mixture to your face and wait 20 minutes.
- Then, rinse with mild water and pat your face dry.
- Finally, follow with toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen.
You can even follow up with a DIY chocolate face mask to double your glow.
Now enjoy your new skin!
Also, recreate the spa experience at home with these rose-inspired products:
- Voluspa Rose Otto Candle
- Baggage Claim Eye Masks in Rose Gold
- Rose Absolute Essential Oil by Plant Therapy
Roses make more than beautiful gifts; they work magic on skin, too. So, next time your skin needs a pick-me-up, reach for the roses. Roses and rose oil nourish skin, keeping it healthy and young.
So use these DIY recipes as often as you’d like, and your skin will look and feel brand new.
This post first appeared on Beauty and Travel Reviews./Featured image credit: Nubia Navarro / Pexels
- Annihilate Acne and Love Your Skin: 6 DIY Apple Beauty Recipes
- Ayurvedic Skin Care: Dosha Quiz + Beauty Products for Your Skin Type
- Bring the Island Spa Home to You: DIY Spa Ideas
- 5 Chocolate Beauty Treats: Beauty Reviews and Recipes
- DIY Kiwi Face Mask and Smoothie Recipes: Reawaken Your Skin
- How To Revive Your Skin and Get Glowing Fast: Banana Mask and Smoothie
- 3 DIY Lavender Oil Beauty Recipes for Dazzling Skin and Hair