Today is DIY Sunday, so I’d like to share this DIY cornmeal and honey face scrub recipe. It has been one of my favorite DIY exfoliators for years. And the best part? It’s cheap and easy to make, even if you and the kitchen don’t “mix.” You can whip this up in under a minute. All you need is a few simple ingredients, and voilà—all done.
Cornmeal exfoliates and eliminates pore-clogging oils without drying out your skin. Also, cornmeal contains vitamin C, the youth antioxidant, which repairs, brightens, and strengthens skin, fades dark spots, and improves elasticity.
Caution: This scrub is more abrasive than other DIY scrubs, so you’ll want to use a light touch when you’re massaging it into your skin.
Check with your dermatologist if you don’t exfoliate often or have sensitive skin. I would start with exfoliating once per week to be safe.
So, here is what you’ll need to get started:
- 1/2 tablespoon of cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- A dash of water
Honestly, I don’t even measure the ingredients. I just dump everything in a dish and apply it, but you can do whatever works best for you.
To begin, mix the cornmeal, water, and honey together to form a paste. Then, apply the mixture to your face and neck with light, circular motions. Leave on for a minute or two, then rinse with warm water. Pat dry, and follow with a toner and moisturizer.
However, I would avoid glycolic toners after using this scrub because glycolic acid is a natural exfoliant, and it could irritate your skin to combine the two. But don’t worry if your skin looks a little pink after you rinse. It will subside within an hour or so.
Here are some product recommendations by skin type:
For Dry Skin
- Toner: Fresh Rose and Hyaluronic Deep Hydration Toner, $45
- Serum: Avene Hydrance Intense Rehydrating Serum, $38
- Moisturizer: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer, $22
For Combination Skin
- Toner: Origins Balancing Tonic, $25
- Serum: Vichy LiftActiv Specialist Peptide-C Anti-Aging Ampoules, $29.50
- Moisturizer: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, $13
For Oily/Acne-Prone Skin
- Toner: Murad Clarifying Toner, $26
- Serum: Paula’s Choice Ultra-Light Antioxidant Serum, $39
- Moisturizer: Tatcha The Water Cream, $68
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and feel free to share your thoughts and experiences after you try this scrub!
For a DIY scrub to get lips like silk, see here.
Here is a free printable tutorial for this DIY scrub.