Try this DIY cornmeal and honey face scrub to get skin softer than a baby’s bottom. This DIY scrub is a Beauty and Travel Reviews favorite, and it leaves your skin baby smooth.
And the best part? It’s inexpensive and easy to make. You can whip it up in under a minute. Just grab a few items from your pantry, and voilà—all done.
Cornmeal exfoliates your skin and removes pore-clogging oils, making it a powerful anti-acne aid. Plus, cornmeal contains vitamin C, the youth antioxidant, which brightens skin, fades dark spots, and improves elasticity. In addition, honey softens skin and kills bacteria, leaving your face smooth and silky.
However, use a gentle touch while scrubbing to prevent irritation. You’ll also want to consult your doctor before using if you have sensitive skin or a skin condition.
Otherwise, start off using this DIY cornmeal scrub once per week, and then work your way up to twice per week as your skin adapts.
DIY Cornmeal and Honey Scrub
So head to the pantry, grab a bowl, and whip up this DIY cornmeal scrub. Just gather the items below to begin.
- 1/2 tablespoon of cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of honey (raw or Manuka honey)
- a drop of water
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well.
- Apply to your skin and massage gently for 30 seconds.
- Wait 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Follow with a serum, moisturizer and sunscreen.
Afterward, your skin will be smooth but delicate, so avoid other exfoliators or acid-based toners for one to two days. Your skin might look pink afterward, but that’s normal and should subside in about an hour. But discontinue and call your doctor if you notice pronounced redness or signs of irritation.
However, after exfoliating, follow up with a hydrating sheet mask for an extra dose of moisture, or skip the sheet mask and apply toner, serum, and moisturizer.
Below are some product recommendations by skin type:
For Dry Skin
- Toner: Fresh Rose and Hyaluronic Deep Hydration Toner, $45
- Serum: Avene Hydrance Intense Rehydrating Serum, $38
- Moisturizer: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer, $22
For Combination Skin
- Toner: Origins Balancing Tonic, $25
- Serum: Vichy LiftActiv Specialist Peptide-C Anti-Aging Ampoules, $29.50
- Moisturizer: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, $13
For Oily/Acne-Prone Skin
- Toner: Murad Clarifying Toner, $26
- Serum: Paula’s Choice Ultra-Light Antioxidant Serum, $39
- Moisturizer: Tatcha The Water Cream, $68
So, whip up this DIY cornmeal and honey scrub once or twice per week to get skin softer than a baby’s bottom. Start by using the scrub once per week, and work your way up to twice per week as your skin adapts.
But now that your skin is baby smooth, you’ll want to treat your lips next. So try this DIY lip scrub with a minty twist.
Featured photo credit: Michelle Patrick Photography / Getty Images via Canva